Tuesday 5 March 2024

Forget-Me-Not

Click image to view a bigger version
More after the jump. 


I took my first serious foray into focus stacking today, using Helicon Focus.
This software is properly impressive. Very easy to use, very fast, and the results speak for themselves. I'm looking forward to playing with this more in the future.
While it's a lot more processing and editing than I usually go for, I think for me, this technique still lies on the correct side of the truthfulness line.
These images each are made up of 90 photos stacked together.

Shot on my EOS M6 Mark II, (the only body I have with a built in focus bracketing function), with my Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro lens.
Crude continuous lighting from a desk lamp stuffed into the softbox, and an LED worklight with a CTO gel on the background, because I didn't think my flashes would be able to keep up with the long, rapid shooting sequence of the auto focus bracketing.
The behind the scenes photo below gives a sense of how small the subject is - the lens is at, or close to, its minimum focus distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment